Forty-nine categories will be offered to students in Boston in the JEA Write-offs including two new contests for Junior High/Middle School students. There are also major revisions to the Computer Design categories.
What some advisers have been missing:
- A student may enter just one category. A school may enter just one student per category except for the Online News Package (up to three) and some broadcast categories that allow teams of two.
- Contestants must attend the convention and their Write-off sessions/critiques on Nov. 15.
- Contestants risk disqualification if they fail to follow the rules updated and available on the JEA website.
- Photography entries must be submitted digitally between Sept. 24 and Oct. 24 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time), and according to the rules. No late images will be accepted for judging or critique. START EARLY — CALL FOR HELP if necessary. A working email must be provided for each photographer. This will be used to send critiques to the student.
- Some broadcast contests must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or SchoolTube between Oct. 25 and Nov. 7 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- Some design entries must be submitted digitally as a PDF to the JEA website between Oct. 25 and Nov. 7 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- Please register early. Some convention venues have limited schoolroom seating for the writing contests. In the event the number of registrants for a contest category fills the seating capacity of the assigned contest room and a larger room is not available, JEA will CLOSE registration for that category.
Some on-site broadcast contests and the Online Newspaper Package contest begin early Friday morning and continue through the day. All other categories generally run 4-6 p.m. Students late to their contests may not be able to participate. Students in online submission contests will be disqualified if they do not attend the critique session. For all contests check the schedule and room assignments in the Convention Update, available at registration.
WRITE-OFF REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Oct. 24, 2013 (online only)
COST: $20 per student. No refunds.
Students and their advisers must be registered for the convention in order to participate, and the adviser must be a member of JEA. No on-site registrations will be accepted; however, name substitutions are allowed until noon Friday at the Write-off check-in desk. If your student has a documentable disability, you need to request any accommodation when you register. Please notify JEA Write-off Chair Nancy Smith (email@example.com) and bring copies of the school documentation to the convention. The rules for Write-offs can be found in a downloadable pdf version at www.jea.org. If you have any questions, you may call JEA Headquarters toll-free at 866-532-5532 or at 785-532-5532, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contest Registration Step by Step:
- Adviser MUST be a current JEA member for the online Write-off registration form to work. Join JEA at jea.org/join. To renew, login to jea.org/membersarea and click on “Renew your Membership.” Membership should be activated by Oct. 20 in order to meet the Oct. 24 Write-off deadline. Membership is not processed until funds are received. If you don’t know your login email and password for jea.org/membersarea please contact JEA staff at 866-532-5532 or email@example.com. Your member number may be found on the label of C:JET magazine or on your membership card.
- Download and print a copy of the Write-off Rules. Decide with your students what to enter. Be sure to bring the rules and required supplies with you to the convention. Confer with other advisers in your school to decide what students will participate in each category. Each student may enter only ONE category. Each school may enter ONE STUDENT PER CATEGORY, with the exception of Online News Package and some broadcast contests. Although it’s preferred one adviser enters all entries from a school, two or more advisers may enter their students separately if paying separately. Please collaborate on this.
- Login at jea.org/membersarea with your email address and password. This will take you to the Members-Only area. Click on the Write-off section in the window. By clicking on Write-offs you will see a link to register students. Type carefully, capitalizing the first letter of first and last names and lowercasing the rest. The database from this form will be used to process certificates.
- Payment of $20 per student may be made with various credit cards, through PayPal, check or purchase order. Mail check to JEA Boston Write-off Contest, Kansas State University, 103 Kedzie Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506. Fax official, signed purchase orders to 785-532-5563, or email as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write-off entries must be paid in full before the contests begin on Nov. 15, 2013.